Saturday, February 15, 2014

Wedding Photography Disaster: Why I Regret My Professional Photographer

Oh? You didn’t hire a PROFESSIONAL photographer that didn't cost you at least HALF of your wedding budget?? You’re going to regret that…. 

Wow. I’m not sure what pompous fool would say something like that. Oh yes I do, the authors of every article about the “Top Reasons To Hire a Professional Photographer OR You’ll Be Sorry” kind of pompous fools. 

In fact, many “professionals” with years of experience can provide sub par, overpriced, lackluster snapshots of your big day. On the other hand, amateur and emerging professionals can provide a fresh outlook and a passion for their craft giving their clients an amazing gallery of images. 

Between my personal experience with my own wedding photographer and the “hire a pro or you’ll be sorry” mantra of the wedding world, I have been prompted to write this blog post. Just to get it off my chest ;-)

I am a self-taught photography hobbyist who has recently started a photography business, and this is MY story. 

Background: My husband and I interviewed photographers based on the list of recommended vendors from our wedding venue. We chose our photographer based on his portfolio, years of experience and sales pitch (that hit all the points on our checklist.) He promised to provide beautifully edited portraits, a meeting to discuss the timeline and specific ideas we had for our photography, and finally an image CD with print release so we could have our files for the future. On our wedding day, our photographer sent an assistant who spent 5 hours taking photos on “auto” mode with a generic checklist of “photos to take at weddings” by his side. After waiting nearly 60 days to see ANY of our wedding pictures, the photographer finally released the online album where we could order prints and preview our pictures. I was in shock. It was clear that the photographer’s assistant lacked creativity and a basic knowledge of posing, lighting, or how to properly use his very expensive camera equipment. Not to mention, NONE of the pictures were edited. After already shelling out $2500.00 JUST for the photographer to even be there (which he wasn't) WHY would I pay $35 for an 8x10 picture of unedited crap? No way. Not one picture was “portrait worthy,” not even close. When I called to discuss the matter and ask for my digital files, the photographer who was supposed to be at our wedding said to me, “I don’t know why you are upset, we are hardly making any money off this deal.” OMG. I can’t even begin to justify WHY he thought that was an appropriate response to anything. 

I can tell you more, but it will be more beneficial for you to view first hand: 

NOTE: My wedding photographer took the original pictures. I will not be giving photo credit due to the nature of this post, oh and the fact that this photographer and the company are no longer in business and nowhere to be found only six years later. Remember these are my professional, expensive, WEDDING photos. 

I have 18 picture that look like this:

 The overhead fan gives it the perfect touch:

 Exposure, perspective?

What?

 My beautiful cake looks TERRIBLE:

WHY did he think this would be a good picture?

This one actually made me cry:

This happened:

I don't know if he was TRYING to be creative, nice picture of my half eaten food:


I chose to recently edit some of my own wedding photos to illustrate how poorly the pictures were taken and "edited" and to show what a few minutes of time and effort can do to an image. Remember – it took 60 days for the photographer “edits.”   **Also, I wanted nice pictures of my wedding!**

  
                                        Professional "Edit":                                                                  "Amateur" Edit:

                                        Professional "Edit":                                                                  "Amateur" Edit: 

             Professional "Edit":                                                               "Amateur" Edit:    


I have told this story to many of my friends, and to my dismay, far more of them than I expected had a similar experience at their wedding. They felt they had to pay top dollar for a professional only to find that their wedding pictures looked like they came from a point and shoot operated by their cat. Many other friends I know have used emerging artists (at a fairly lower price point) and were beyond satisfied with their wedding pictures. 

Years later, I have started my own photography business as a self-taught photographer. Needless to say, I am very put off by the articles written as to why “people like me” shouldn't be hired to photograph your wedding. (No, I am not yet a "professional" with 10,000 hours behind the camera, I also have had no formal training in photography or editing.) My own list of criteria for a great wedding photographer doesn't include a “pro vs. amateur” check box because both pros and amateurs can be equally capable or equally horrific. I am not knocking all professionals, I think many of them are very skilled at their trade, have easy access to high-end equipment, and will provide an excellent experience for their clients. On the other hand, I know many emerging professionals and amateurs photographers who can and will provide equally beautiful work as well as exceptional customer service. That said, there is the other side of the spectrum where flawed photography businesses, both professional and amateur, should NOT photograph weddings - just because a photographer has fancy equipment, does not mean they know how to use it! Should couples be told they are making a HUGE mistake by hiring an amateur when they don’t have room in the budget for a pro? (Or maybe even like the work of the amateur!??)

Many wedding experts agree that 10% of your budget should go to photography. Yes, it is important to budget properly for photography and yes, it is important the photographer is paid for their time, equipment, and overhead costs. That said, most emerging photographers charge much less than “professionals” because they are looking to build their portfolio and gain experience. Just because a photographer charges less than another does not mean their work is not just as good, or {gasp} even BETTER. Many couples have $5k-$10K to spend on their entire wedding, and $2500 for a photographer is just out of the question. Even if a couple has the average $25k, or even a larger budget, doesn't mean that spending more money on a photographer guarantees quality and dedication. Couples should NOT be told they've made a bad decision if they choose to pay less for photography than many professionals want to charge. 

I do agree with some of the points the “pro-professional” articles make. For example, it IS important to choose your photographer carefully. But, what does “carefully” really mean? Do they need to cost at least $5000.00? Do they need to be in business for 30 years? Do they have to have top-of-the-line equipment? My answer to all of these is a big fat NO. 

From my personal experience with a horrible -professional- wedding photographer, stories from brides who had a fantastic experience from emerging photographers, and my experience with my own business, here are two most important things that couples should REALLY be looking for in the photographer they chose to capture their big day. This list should be considered when interviewing both professionals and your friend’s friend who “does photography.” They may just be equally qualified. 

 1. PORTFOLIO. This is absolutely the most key item to consider when choosing a photographer. It is important that you take time to look at the photographers CURRENT work. The most recent images from a photographer’s collection will show you their current style and skill level. Do you like it? Does it fit in with the vision YOU have for wedding photography? The photographer’s style should fit well with your own taste in order for you to be happy with the end result. It is equally important that you aren't seeing their best work from 20 years ago. Many professionals can fall out of love with their art or be stuck in the past and unwilling to change to modern ideas, styles and technology where an emerging photographer can bring fresh ideas and modern touches. 

 2. Dedication and Commitment. Look for a photographer who shows a passion for their business and who keeps your best interest in mind. Do they listen to what I want? Do they respond promptly? Do they take time to meet you in person to go over all the final details? Someone who genuinely cares about both their own photography and your wedding day is going to outperform someone who is not emotionally connected to either. 

3. What do you get for your money? Professionals and amateurs alike offer different packages and different quality. Do you want digital images, professional prints, canvases, photo books, or an online gallery? Many emerging professionals often offer the edited digital files at lower costs for printing, but print quality can be compromised if you choose a standard retail printer. On the other hand, you could be paying for high quality prints of an image that you don’t really like. (Please note that even though this is my first year in business, I offer all of the above and subscribe to a highly reputable professional printing service and so do MANY of my emerging artist colleagues.) 

4. Word of mouth. You ask your friends for advice on so many things. You have probably seen all your friends' photos; weddings, engagement, babies... You know which ones you like and which you don't. Ask around, it is likely a safe bet to use the photographer that comes highly recommended by people you trust-and who's pictures look amazing!



The bottom line is to do your research on the actual photographer: 

 a. A professional may not be all that they seem and you could end up paying big bucks for a huge disappointment. 

 b. Don’t immediately dismiss the idea of an amateur just because a wedding article told you so, you could end up saving money and getting a beautiful custom experience. 

The length of experience and amount of formal education a person has in wedding photography may not be the factors that determine if they are an exceptional photographer. Regardless of their price tag - a photographer’s eye for art, natural skill, enthusiasm, and dedication and to their work are much more important than their “professional” status. 

6 comments:

  1. This short article posted only at the web site is truly good.atunbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting article, as I am just about to write an article o hiring a professional myself. I would agree that formal education does not determine you being a professional photographer, photography is an art, most of the best artists in the world are self taught. Musicians, Singers, Dancers, Painters etc ... however I would have to strongly disagree. If the images you have posted are a good representation of what was delivered to you, I would not class that person as a professional. It looks as though they have basic kit, a very bad understanding of their camera, exposure, white balance, framing, lens choice, flash and a bad understanding of post processing etc. Hiring an amateur is no way going to resolve any of these issues! but only compound them! Is this a risk someone wants to take for the big day? I was a passionate amateur, I look back on my work all those years ago and cringe. Passion alone cannot ensure you do such a big day justice. I also know many professional susch as myself that are also still very passionate. What you say may be what couples want to hear, I really do hope that it works ok for them ... but in which other profession would we suggest someone hire an amateur to do a job? A tattooist? I would argue your experience is one of a amateur posing as a professional, as such, it is really a story or hiring an amateur ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
    Tobiah Tayo

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, great, I was wondering how to cure acne naturally. and found your site by google, learned a lot, now i’m a bit clear. I’ve bookmark your site and also add rss. keep us updated.
    Wedding Photography Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is too much amazing. I have found with ease what I was looking. Moreover, the content quality is awesome. Thanks for the nudge! Melbourne Photo Booth Hire

    ReplyDelete
  6. After all of the pictures are taken the next thing to do is decide how you would like to keep the pictures. Some people like to put pictures in a wooden frame and others like to keep the photos as a series of pictures in an album. professional headshots brisbane

    ReplyDelete